About the Position
WatchGuard is in the midst of transforming how we move, store, and report on data and looking for a passionate technical data pro to help grow our data insights program. The Database Engineer (DBE) will work in IT with the data team as well as our business users, software engineers and IT operators to create data solutions for various business units. We are looking for a data minded engineer who wants to solve problems, applying new ideas, and the passion for building solutions with the customer in mind. The DBE will comfortably move between creating and developing the ETL processes, modeling data, and writing stored procedures in a fast-paced environment.
If you are looking for a data challenge and can get stuff done, then we want to talk to you.
- Create, maintain, integrate, troubleshoot, and develop ETL process, data modeling, stored procedures, API calls, and data infrastructure
- Design, document, develop and support multiple data loads, transformation processes, database schemas and entity relationship diagrams
- Actively participate in business analysis, requirements gathering, proposing and developing data solutions; influence business partners to adhere to best practices with data
- Partner with internal key stakeholders to build a new centralized database, data marts and other data solutions that fit our business processes
- Develop and support continuous integrations build and deployment processes which use Jenkins, GitHub, etc.
- Continuously look for ways to improve our data processes and frameworks; defining, building, deploying and maintaining data management tools
- Provide administration, optimization, maintenance, tuning, scalability, high availability, automation, schema management, and repeatable processes for the database platform
- Develop and define data standards and measurements, driving adoption of operational metrics to track system quality, monitoring, and performance
- Define and resolve data design, flow, content, and quality issues
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar technical field
- Proven knowledge of data warehousing concepts
- Working knowledge of database best practices (database and performance tuning, schema management, index optimization, data replication, and application scalability)
- Troubleshooting and analytical skills is a must
- Effectively communicate with other engineers, business customers, and program managers
- Other duties and projects as assigned
4+ years of experience working in various database engineering roles
- Must have proven experience creating, maintaining, and improving ETL and stored procedure experience
- Must have experience with MS SQL Server and other relational database system with proven experience with AlwaysOn, clustering, transactional replication, and T-SQL
- Proven technical experience in relational database design, data modeling, data mining, design, and architecture principles
- Direct experience with Azure SQL databases, blob storage, data lake, and/or data factory
- Experience with parsing and sharding of XML data experience with C#, Python a plus
- Experience integrating with Tableau and/or Power BI
- Experience with NoSQL document DBs, such as MongoDB, CouchDB a plus
- Experience with agile development is a must
Why Work For WatchGuard?
At WatchGuard we create smart security, simply done. We’re a leader in building cyber security hardware, wireless, and cloud solutions that protect small and midsize businesses, and distributed enterprises worldwide. Our award-winning network security solutions provide layered, enterprise-grade protection that is easy to deploy and manage. Whether you are an industry veteran, or at the beginning of your career, now is an amazing time to work in the security industry, and there’s never been a better time to be at WatchGuard.
We love solving the industry’s toughest challenges, and our innovation keeps our customers ahead of increasingly sophisticated hackers, which has fueled record revenues. We’re heavily reinvesting in the company, and driving rapid acceleration across all aspects of our business. As a result, our employee base has nearly doubled in the last three years, organically and through acquisition.
Our company culture places intense focus on our customers and employees. From the newest employee to our CEO, you'll find that each person at WatchGuard embodies our core values: accountability, passion for success, community building, and maintaining a customer focus in all things.
WatchGuard Technologies is privately backed by equity firms Vector Capital and Francisco Partners, and has headquarters in Seattle, Washington, with offices throughout North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
WatchGuard participates in E-verify